How to Apply
We welcome applications to join our Sixth Form. Applications for entry into our Sixth Form in September 2019 should be submitted before Thursday 28 February 2019.
STEP 1 - Complete the main LGS and Sixth Form application forms and return to Admissions along with:
- The £75 registration
- A copy of the applicant's birth certificate
STEP 2 - The application will then be acknowledged and then the applicant will be invited to do the following:
- Send us a recent report from your son/daughter’s present school
- Send us evidence of likely GCSE performance e.g. Mock exam results
- Attend an the Assessment Day on Friday 8 march 2019
The applicant will then either:
- Be offered an unconditional place
- Be offered a conditional place (only confirmed on receipt of his/her GCSE results in August)
- Not offered a place
STEP 3 - If the applicant is offered an unconditional or conditional place, he/she will be invited to attend the Sixth Form inductions at the end of June 2019 and at the start of September 2019.
Our Expectations of Sixth Form Students
The position of Leicester Grammar School as one of the top co-educational day schools in the country is based to a large extent on the achievements of its Sixth Form Students. We aim to prepare our students to be independent, free-thinking, highly qualified individuals, and confident in their ability to make their chosen way in the world.
We expect a great deal from our Sixth Form students in terms of their commitment to School activities and academic studies. In return we are only too happy to be fully engaged by them in the team effort necessary to achieve the highest standards.
The aim of the Grammar School is excellence. We will normally expect to admit an applicant if he or she demonstrates all of the following:
- Has chosen a subject combination that is both coherent and realistic considering achievements at GCSE
- Demonstrates a positive attitude to study, the School and all that is has to offer
- Has attained a minimum of three GCSEs at Grade 7 or better accompanied by a minimum of three further GCSEs at Grade 6 or better.
During the ‘mixed economy’ years when students may receive a combination of new style 9 – 1 Grades along with A* – G grades, the School will consider Grades A*, A and B at par with Grades 8, 7 and 6 respectively. The School considers Grades attained in GCSE equivalent courses, such as IGCSEs, at par with their GCSE equivalents.
Sir Thomas White Trust Scholarship
Please find the information below for entry into Year 12 (LVI) in September 2019.
Leicester Grammar School is pleased to offer the opportunity to apply for a full scholarship for students hoping to join the Sixth Form. The funding for this is from the Sir Thomas White Trust and covers the full tuition fee for both Sixth Form years.
Suitable applicants must:
- permanently reside in Leicester, Leicestershire or Rutland
- expect to achieve 9 grades at GCSE at level 9-7
- be currently educated in a state school
- have a family income of less than £45,000 (and this can be means tested on application)
- be interviewed by representatives of the Sir Thomas White Trust who make the final selection. To convince the interviewing panel you will need to show ambition and drive to succeed
To apply, please follow the normal Grammar School application (complete both the standard and Sixth Form specific application forms and return along with a copy of the applicant’s birth certificate and the £75 registration fee) as well as a covering letter to explain why you should be considered for the award. The deadline for receipt of applications is Friday 14th December 2018.
Interviews will take place at Leicester Grammar School in January 2019 and with the Sir Thomas White Trust representatives in February 2019.
For more information or to apply, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not contact Sir Thomas White Trust direct. However, information is available on their website http://www.stwcharity.co.uk/scholarships/