Food and Catering
Sodexo provide the catering at LGS and their Independent Schools division has over 50 years' experience within independent schools.
Pupils can either buy lunch in the refectory or they can bring in a packed lunch. They come to eat by rota according to year group and there is a wide selection for pupils to choose from - from a salad bar, fresh sandwiches/wraps, homemade soups, baked potatoes to several hot food choices. There are always vegetarian options. Pupils pay for their lunch using our biometric system and they can always access their accounts so they can see when the balance needs "topping up". The preferred option is by MSP. Parents can also pay by bank transfer (account details can be found on the termly bill). Reference should be the pupil reference (also found on the termly bill) plus 'food'.
Sodexo's Commitment to you
We are passionate about provide you, our customers, with a brilliant and consistent service. To achieve this, we will:
- Always be approachable and listen to your needs
- Deliver the food, service and experience you want
- Serve fresh food, made from scratch
- Be a positive team that embraces your school's ethos and values
- Have respect for everyone
Did you know?...
- Fish and seafood consumption has tripled in the last 30 years?
- Nutritionists recommend that consumers should eat at least 2 portions of fish a week
- 7.3 million tonnes of fish are thrown back each year
- Aquaculture represents 40% of the world's fish production
- MSC is the Marine Stewardship Council
Sodexo's Monthly Message
Always eat breakfast - break the fast! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day; your body's sugar level is at its lowest when you have just woken up. Having not eaten since the evening and expect our body to be fuelled and blood sugar to be replenished is unrealistic.
Breakfast is a nutritious way to start out your day. As well as refuelling your body, it enhances your mood, improves your concentration, helps you to maintain a healthy weight and is the foundation for a healthy diet.
Top 10 reasons to eat breakfast:
- A better attention span and concentration = better productivity.
Studies show that people who do not eat breakfast are unable to work as hard until lunchtime
- Maintaining a healthy weight.
People who skip breakfast are show to choose less nutritious convenience foods and snack to curb their hunger and appetite.
- Supply of essential nutrients.
Breakfast supplies some of the most essential nutrients e.g. calcium in milk, yoghurt, iron, fibre, and vitamin B1. People who regularly consume a healthy breakfast are more likely to meet their daily nutrient requirements, eat less fat and have lower cholesterol.
- Eating breakfast improves concentration.
A well balanced breakfast can help keep you alert and productive throughout the day. Breakfast improves concentration, problem solving, hand eye co-ordination and creativity.
- Eating breakfast can reverse the effects of fasting, irritability and fatigue.
- Eating breakfast increases metabolic rate.
People who skip breakfast have a metabolic rate 5% below normal.
- Eating breakfast can prevent obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes
- Eating breakfast provides a little time for catching up with others or simply catching up with the world before you start the day.
- Setting an example to younger children and helping them develop healthy eating habits at an early age. E.g. if your siblings see you eat breakfast, they are more likely to as well.
- Finally, breakfast food is delicious...
Breakfast is available in the refectory every term-time morning Monday to Friday 7.45am to 8.30am.