A Level Choices Evening
Wednesday 3 November 6.00-8.00pm
We would be delighted to welcome prospective Sixth Form students and their parents to our A Level Choices Evening. This will be a chance to visit our academic departments to talk to both current A level students and staff, to look around our superb facilities and to hear from the Headmaster about our Aspire Sixth Form programme. Please book to attend - click here.
How to Apply - 2022
STEP 1 - Complete the main LGS and Sixth Form application forms (links at the bottom of this page) and return to Admissions by 28th February 2022 along with:
- The £75 registration
- A copy of the applicant's birth certificate
STEP 2 - The application will then be acknowledged and then the applicant will be invited to do the following:
- Send us a recent report from your son/daughter’s present school
- Send us evidence of likely GCSE performance e.g. Mock exam results
- Attend a Selection Day in February or March 2022
The applicant will then either:
- Be offered an unconditional place
- Be offered a conditional place (only confirmed on receipt of his/her GCSE results in August)
- Not offered a place
STEP 3 - If the applicant is offered an unconditional or conditional place, he/she will be invited to attend the Sixth Form induction at the start of September 2022.
Our Expectations of Sixth Form Students
The position of Leicester Grammar School as one of the top co-educational day schools in the country is based to a large extent on the achievements of its Sixth Form students. We aim to prepare our students to be independent, free-thinking, highly qualified individuals, and confident in their ability to make their chosen way in the world.
We expect a great deal from our Sixth Form students in terms of their commitment to School activities and academic studies. In return, we are only too happy to be fully engaged by them in the team effort necessary to achieve the highest standards.
We welcome applications from academically engaged pupils who want to play an active part in the Sixth Form life of Leicester Grammar School. Entry to the Sixth Form is by interview, offers of a place being conditional upon the GCSE grades gained. Applicants who can demonstrate the following attributes have the best chance of being offered a place:
- A good academic track record, with at least three GCSEs at grade 7 and three GCSEs at grade 6.
- A genuine interest in their proposed A-level subjects and a clear rationale for their choices.
- A track record of engaging positively in activities beyond study. For example: music, drama, sport, Duke of Edinburgh, Scouts, NCS or part-time work.
Sir Thomas White Trust Scholarship
Leicester Grammar School is pleased to offer the opportunity to apply for a full scholarship for students hoping to join the Sixth Form. The funding for this is from the Sir Thomas White Trust and covers the full tuition fee for both Sixth Form years.
Suitable applicants must:
- permanently reside in Leicester, Leicestershire or Rutland
- expect to achieve 9 grades at GCSE at level 9-7
- be currently educated in a state school
- have a family income of less than £45,000 (and this can be means-tested on application)
- be interviewed by representatives of the Sir Thomas White Trust who make the final selection. To convince the interviewing panel you will need to show ambition and drive to succeed
To apply, please follow the normal Grammar School application (complete both the standard and Sixth Form specific application forms - see links below - and return along with a copy of the applicant’s birth certificate and the £75 registration fee) as well as a covering letter to explain why you should be considered for the award.
The deadline for receipt of applications for entry in September 2022 is 16th December 2021.
Interviews will take place at Leicester Grammar School in January 2022 and with the Sir Thomas White Trustees on 3 March 2022.
For more information or to apply, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not contact Sir Thomas White Trust direct. However, information is available on their website http://www.stwcharity.co.uk/scholarships/