PPE Visors 2020
We have been making thousands of lifesaving face shields for NHS workers. Headed up by Head of Design, Technology & Engineering, Miss Campbell, staff and pupils are pitching in to support the massive effort.
We set up a production line to make the personal protective equipment (PPE) in the school’s design and technology department a fortnight ago.
We want to do our bit for our magnificent NHS workers. The whole country’s coming together and working together to combat the coronavirus – and we are determined to help. We have made over 11400 face shields!
- Leicester General Hospital
- Kettering General Hospital
- Headlands Surgery, Kettering
- Lakeside Healthcare, Corby
- Newbold Verdon and Market Bosworth Medical Practice
- Melton Mowbray Hospital
- St. Elizabeth's Surgery
- MHA Aigburth Nursing Home, Oadby
- The Croft Medical Centre, Oadby
- Nottingham Trust
- Morningside Healthcare
- Aylesbury Ambulance Trust
- Residential Homes Leicestershire
- Orchard Medical Practice
- Barrow Medical Centre
- Glenfield Hospital
- Milton Keynes Hospital
- Buffield Heath Hospital
- Nottingham Speech Therapists
- Saffron Health Centre, Leicester
- Leicester Royal Infirmary
- Harborough Healthcare
- Ashby Practice
- Higbury Hospital
- South Leicestershire Medical Group
- George Elliot Hospital
- Charnwood Practice
- Northampton General Hospital
- Willows Healthcare
- Kettering Ambulance Service
- Safeguarding Team, Leicester
- Nuffield Health
- Leicester Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service
We also want to thank the local companies who have helped us to speed up production by using their industrial laser cutters to produce the component parts for us to assemble. Special thanks go to Carlon Plastics and Fancy Crafts in Leicester, Precision Laser Services in Market Harborough and COBA Plastics in Fleckney.
A video made by ITV Central for a news piece on children of key workers which explains the production line:
- The face visors that we at Leicester Grammar School have, and continue to produce, have not undergone the standard testing requirements as set by the NHS or British Standards guidance as to PPE for healthcare workers.
- We believe that the product we have made to date is fine for interactions which observe physical distancing (e.g. across the counter, at reception, ordinary consultations), but that we wouldn’t want to say it would be fit for surgery or close care situations.
- We recommend that people wearing and using our visors should conduct their own risk assessment prior to wearing these visors. They should also still be wearing breathing masks and safety glasses when using them.
- We also suggest that the visors are not really designed for multiple usage, they are disposable, and some parts can be recycled.
- The visors we have produced, and continue to produce, are all at the request of hospitals and Key Workers contacting the school.
- They have been made in the School by volunteers (wearing gloves & masks).
- Should any of the end-users require any further information about the face visors, in order to make an informed decision regarding their production/safety, they can contact us and ask for a copy of the technical specifications
- The design used is approved by the Design And Technology Association (DATA) and made using the materials suggested by DATA. https://www.data.org.uk/
- No payment has been received for anything we have produced, even when the Head of procurement/consultants/Trust heads have contacted us saying they will pay. We have always said these are a gift as they are not FFP rated
- Each box delivered contains a poster in there stating they have made by staff and pupils at LGS with no BSI marking